The skin is the outermost part of the body and is most vulnerable to infections, wounds and attacks by external forces. The skin is sensitive and any abnormalities in it can cause severe distress and pain.
Itchy blisters on the feet may be caused due to a number of factors. When an individual has itchy blisters on the feet, then a visit to a doctor is essential for the proper diagnosis. The presence of itchy blisters on feet may point to the presence of several kinds of diseases such as hand, foot and mouth disease, psoriasis, allergic dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis, eczema or other disorders of the skin.
Causes of itchy blisters on feet
- Dyshidrotic eczema is one of the most common causes of itchy blisters on the feet. This condition has a sudden onset of intense and extreme cases of clear blisters. The blisters generally tend to rapidly develop within one to three days. In the following stages, there may be scaling of the feet accompanied by increased thickening of the skin as well as the development of typical, painful fissures. The condition may also result in secondary complications such as bacterial infections. There is a tendency of the skin disorder to aggravate during the summer months.
Other possible causes of itchy blisters on feet include the following:
- The presence of dry skin tends to irritate the sensitive skin and may lead to the development of itchy blisters on feet. Dryness of the, especially the skin on the feet, may be caused due to variety of factors such as old age, dehydration, excessive use of soap during shower, poor nutrition, hypothyroidism and other genetic reasons.
- A poor personal hygiene that leads to ill-maintenance of the feet may result in the accumulation of dust, dirt and sweat on the skin of the feet. This can lead to thin tear of the feet-skin by bacterial infections thereby resulting in the formation of itchy blisters on the feet.
- There may a genetic predisposition in some individuals to chicken skin or goose bumps. In individuals with such skin disorders, the hair follicles on the feet-skin are elevated and thick in nature. These bumps may get infected by bacteria or fungus resulting in increased irritation and the formation of itchy blisters on the feet.
- Presence of underlying conditions such as folliculitis that is caused due to bacterial infection of the hair follicles due to poor hygiene and tight clothing, may lead to the formation of itchy blisters on the feet.
- Acne is a condition wherein red or white bumps may erupt on the surface of the skin. Acne bumps may be caused due to hormonal changes in the body, poor nutrition or hygiene. Acne is highly irritable and causes itching. In rare cases, feet-acne may lead to the formation of itchy blisters on the feet.
- Showers that are of a longer duration result in the excessive use of soaps and other body cleansers. This tends to remove the layer of oil from the skin and may lead to acute itching of the skin. Increased irritation of the feet-skin due to the above reasons may lead to the formation of itchy blisters on the feet.
- A prolonged run in hot weather or a long-drawn hot bath or shower, may result in a condition known as cholinergic urticaria, which is associated with the appearance of bumpy hives on the skin. Such hives cause severe itching and may result in the formation of itchy blisters on the feet.
- Any type of bacterial, fungal, yeast or parasitic infection of the feet due to dirty socks, footwear or poor hygiene may cause inflammation of the skin in the area which leads to severe itching. Such inflammation of the feet-skin may eventually lead to the formation of itchy blisters on the feet.
- Medical conditions such as stasis Eczema leads to the development of purplish, reddish, itchy and swollen skin on the lower part of the legs. This condition is usually associated with people who have varicose veins and other vein induced diseases. The presence of such skin diseases may lead to intense itching as well as the formation of itchy blisters on the feet.
Treatment of itchy blisters on feet
It is important to visit a doctor to determine the cause of the itchy blisters on the feet and take recourse to the correct treatment methods.
Some of the common treatment methods are as follows:
- Medications such as oral antihistamine pills can alleviate the feelings of itching.
- Drugs such as antibiotics and antibacterial ointments may be prescribed to treat bacterial infections that cause itchy blisters on the feet.
- A proper hygiene, intake of water at regular intervals, use of mild soaps, use of a moisturizer or body creams, regular baths, avoidance of tight clothing and irritable fabric, avoidance of excessive amounts of alcohol or caffeine and avoidance of direct exposure to sun, heat and humidity may lead to a successful treatment of itchy blisters on the feet as well as its prevention.