If you get pain in the right side of the body, it can be tough to find out what is the cause of the problem because there can be a host of diseases and disorders that can cause pain to the right side of the body. Now, the right side of the body has many organs like the right lung, the pancreas, the right kidney, the right part of the large intestine, the appendix, the duodenum, the right abdomen, the blood vessels on the right part of the abdomen, the right adrenal gland; and in women, the right ovary and the right fallopian tube.
Let us look at pain in the right side of the body and the causes
- Right lung inflammation-Certain types of pneumonia like can cause inflammation of the right lung, thus causing prickly pain in the right side of the body, especially on the upper abdomen. This is followed by bouts of cough and cold.
- Appendicitis- Inflammation of the appendix is a common problem when it comes to pain in the right side of the body, the abdominal pain starts in the right part of the abdomen,. The pain starts off as a minor one which becomes intense with time. Nausea and loss of appetite are other symptoms of appendicitis. In many cases, surgery is needed to treat appendicitis.
- Liver diseases-Hepatitis and other liver diseases leads to inflammation on the right, upper areas of the abdomen. The pain may be of various types- dull ache or uneasiness to severe pain. Liver disease is also associated with liver swelling. The swelling of the liver can cause distention of the surface and irritation of the liver, thus causing liver pain. Breathing may also be difficult and painful due to the heavy pressure on the diaphragm.
- Hernia- This can also be a cause of pain in the right side of the body, more localized on the lower back area. It is better to get specialized advice from a doctor to prevent complications and unnecessary pain. Hernia and the pain it causes can be treated through surgery.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome-IBS is characterized by right side back pain, the pain is more widespread and brings with it other symptoms such as flatulence, abdominal bloating, fatigue and nausea. Irritable bowel syndrome may be cured by high fiber diet and increased intake of fluids. Medications and other methods of treatment are also given by the doctor who can treat IBS and the right side back pain.
- Binary Colic- This is the gall bladder disease characterized by presence of stones in it. The patient can get intense pain in the right side of the body. The pain may first be experienced on the right side of the abdomen which may continue for hours The pain may also move to other parts of the body.
- Kidney stones- Kidney stones can also cause pain in the right side of the body, the area where the pain is felt is , particularly on the stomach towards the groin area. This is in the form of cramp-like pain that is very strong and sharp, along with nausea and even vomiting
- Urinary Tract Infection- Urinary Tract Infection can start off as a minor ache on the right back area and can then become intense. Other common symptoms of urinary tract infection are nausea, fever, burning sensation and pain while urinating and constant pressure on the bladder.
- Poor posture-Apart from poor posture, lack of proper diet, lack of exercise and injury can also cause right side pain in the body. People who work in hard labor or participate in contact sports may experience injury or sprain in the right side of the body, in the front or/and the back side.
- Muscle Cramps- Due to dehydration or intense physical activity or for some unknown reasons, you may develop muscle cramps in the right side of the body.
- Etopic pregnancy – Moderate to severe pain is experienced on the lower abdomen in ectopic pregnancy. If the ectopic pregnancy is on the right fallopian tube, pain in the right side of the body is felt. Vaginal bleeding, nausea and dizziness are other symptoms.
- Cyst in ovary- If the cyst in the right ovary bursts, it can cause severe pain to the woman in the abdominal area, which can even move to the thighs along with nausea and vomiting.
Conclusion- Take note of the pain in the right side of the body; if it lasts for days, you should see the doctor. The above mentioned causes of right side body pain warrant attention from medical specialists. The article is not comprehensive enough to cite all the issues that can cause pain to the right side of the body, but we have brought the common ones to light. For specific problems, please consult your doctor.