What is ground beef ?
Ground beef has been used in a wide array of dishes and has remained an all-time favorite. However, consumers find it hard to discount the fact that ground beef contains substantial amounts of fat that can cause potential health issues. Educating consumers of the ground beef nutrition allows them to understand the nutritional content, health benefits as well as the potential side effects of this meat product.
Nutritional Information of Ground Beef
Now more than ever, consumers are looking for the complete ground beef nutrition information due to the popularity of hamburgers. Ground beef, when consumed in moderation, has many nutrients that are good for the body. This meat product can have differing fat content, but by standards, the USDA prohibits over 30% of fat in ground beef.
The following is the nutritional information per 3 ounces serving of ground beef.
- Iron 2.6mg
- Zinc 5.8mg
- Selenium 17.9mcg
- Protein 24.2g
- Phosphorus 189mg
- Niacin 5.3mg
- Vitamin B6 0.3mg
- Fat 10.2g
- Vitamin B12 44%
Health Benefits of Ground Beef
Comprehending ground beef nutrition involves understanding the health benefits that ground beef can provide. Ground beef is a good source of protein from animals and contains high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, giving heaps of benefits to consumers.
- Ground beef is an excellent source of vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and niacin which are essential for proper digestion. The brain also benefits from these vitamins by promoting calmness, improving memory and stabilizing the mood.
- Due to its high iron content, ground beef helps in keeping the optimum level of hemoglobin and aids in the absorption of oxygen in the blood. Vitamin B12 also facilitates in keeping the red blood cells healthy.
- The vitamin B6 found in ground beef contributes in sustaining the proper metabolic functions of the body and also prevents heart disease.
- Ground beef has phosphorus which helps in keeping the bones, teeth and muscles healthy. This mineral is also important for proper kidney function, nerve conduction and heartbeat regulation.
Side Effects of Ground Beef
The proper understanding of ground beef nutrition would not be achieved without learning about the possible harmful side effects of consuming ground beef.
- Just like any other type of ground meat, ground beef is also susceptible to harmful bacteria such as E. coli. What is alarming about this type of bacteria is that they can survive freezer and refrigerator temperatures and multiply very quickly.
- Ground beef can also pose ill effects to the health when improperly cooked. The bacteria lodging inside the meat is still active when cooked below 160ºF and can cause serious illness and even death once ingested.
- People who have compromised immune systems, the elderly and the very young put their health at risk when they consume mishandled and undercooked ground beef. Cancer patients and those with kidney diseases and other dreadful ailments are also at risk if they eat contaminated food.
- Undercooked ground beef can cause upsetting side effects such as vomiting, diarrhea, excessive sweating, bloating, stomach upset, bloody stool and abdominal cramping. It is very important then to cook ground beef at the 160ºF safe mark.