Glucosamine Chondroitin side effects though not debilitating in nature, still does exist and knowing them can help you understand this osteoarthritis medication comprehensively.
Individuals affected by osteoarthritis are usually recommended to consume glucosamine chondroitin supplement to alleviate the condition. Osteoarthritis can be described as a disease that is caused due to the wearing or damage of the cartilage in the joints, which in turn can produce symptoms such as pain, inflammation and swelling in the joints, and may even lead to deformity. The cartilage consists of the components, i.e. glucosamine and chondroitin and hence both are used for treating osteoarthritis.
Glucosamine can increase the flexibility of the cartilage in the joints and also improve its flexibility. Additionally, it can be consumed to alleviate the pain that accompanies osteoarthritis. On the other hand, chondroitin can increase the resilience of the joint cartilage and also enable it to absorb added shock. Joint inflammation associated with osteoarthritis is also significantly reduced due to chondroitin intake. However, it is important to note that even though glucosamine and chondroitin are good for betterment of the debilitating symptoms associated with osteoarthritis, their excessive use can also result in glucosamine chondroitin side effects.
One may take solace from the fact that the glucosamine chondroitin side effects are not severe in nature, but it is best to consult a doctor and get informed about the glucosamine chondroitin side effects, before consuming it to treat osteoarthritis.
Side effects of Glucosamine Chondroitin
- Allergic reactions: Glucosamine is generally obtained from the shells of shellfish. Hence, individuals who are allergic to shellfish should refrain from consuming the supplement and thereby avoid glucosamine chondroitin side effects. However, if you wish to intake it to find relief from osteoarthritis, then you should consult a doctor before doing so. Some of the symptoms of an allergic reaction to intake of glucosamine chondroitin include rashes on the skin, abnormal swelling of the throat, face and lips, breathing difficulties and skin irritation.
- Cholesterol levels: The side effects of glucosamine chondroitin on cholesterol levels, is still a matter of debate and research. Most studies indicate that the intake of the supplement does not result in any major changes to the LDL or HDL levels, or in any severe harm to the liver.
- Blood disorders: Additionally, glucosamine chondroitin consumption can also invigorate the effects of blood thing drugs thereby increasing the susceptibility to excessive bleeding. Hence, individuals who are under prescription blood thinning medications as well as those with bleeding medical disorders should avoid the intake of the supplement or consult a doctor before doing so, thereby avoiding the risk to glucosamine chondroitin side effects.
- Intestinal problems: One of the most common glucosamine chondroitin side effects is that its consumption can result in intestinal issues. Some of them of the intestinal problems include symptoms such as constipation, indigestion, diarrhea, nausea, pain in the stomach, heartburn, bloating and gastrointestinal or stomach upset. Individuals who intake the drug can also experience another glucosamine chondroitin side effect, i.e. gas or intestinal gas. This glucosamine chondroitin side effect is also fairly common. In addition to intestinal issues, glucosamine chondroitin consumption may also temporary increase in the blood pressure and heart beat, and heart palpitations among other glucosamine chondroitin side effects.
- Kidney functioning: There have been many studies conducted to find out about the glucosamine chondroitin side effects on kidney functioning. Some studies indicate high levels of protein in the urine of patients who have taken glucosamine chondroitin. It is known that glucosamine is removed from the body via the urine. Hence, individuals with impaired kidney function will not be able to effectively eliminate glucosamine from the body. A few studies reveal that some patients who consume the supplement may develop acute interstitial nephritis, which is a medical condition that results in inflamed kidneys and irregular kidney functioning. Hence, individuals should consult a doctor so as to avoid glucosamine chondroitin side effects.
- Sleep problems: Sleep disorders are another glucosamine chondroitin side effect. However, this glucosamine chondroitin side effect is still a subject of research. A few studies indicate that glucosamine chondroitin intake can sometimes result in insomnia and drowsiness.
- Blood sugar levels: There have been some studies that have raised concerns about the effects of glucosamine chondroitin on the levels of blood sugar. There are still other studies which indicate that there are no glucosamine chondroitin side effects on the blood sugar levels. Most of the studies about glucosamine chondroitin side effects on blood sugar levels are inconclusive and do not prove that glucosamine chondroitin is the cause of the elevated blood sugar levels. However, most studies reveal that insulin resistance is a glucosamine chondroitin side effect. Consumption of this supplement can result in increased resistance to insulin. Hence individuals who are suffering from diabetes should refrain from consuming glucosamine chondroitin. In case, they wish to intake the supplement, then they must do so at the behest of a doctor and also carefully monitor the blood sugar levels during the period when they are taking the supplement. If any increase in the blood sugar levels is noticed, then the intake of glucosamine chondroitin should be immediately stopped so as to avoid further aggravation of glucosamine chondroitin side effects.