Understanding the beef liver nutrition has allowed many people to eat beef liver and reap the numerous health benefits it provides. Beef liver is one of the sought out organ meats from cow as has been proven by the countless dishes created from this part. This particular cut has significant amounts of nutrients as well as vitamins and minerals, making it a healthier alternative for steak and other beef cuts.
Although lots of people used to avoid beef liver due to its role in neutralizing the toxins in the cow’s body, the right understanding of beef liver nutrition corrects this wrong contention citing the fact that the liver only neutralizes the toxins and does not store them. What the liver stores are lots of important nutrients needed to eliminate the toxins.
Health Benefits of Consuming Beef Liver
Beef liver nutrition tackles important issues concerning beef liver consumption, including its numerous health benefits.
- Beef liver contains a small amount of calories which is good for weight loss. This allows a person who is planning on reducing weight to enjoy eating beef without getting worried over gaining more weight.
- Eating around 3 ounces of beef liver daily can help men and women meet their daily nutritional requirements as it is packed with vitamins and minerals.
- Due to its high nutritional content, consuming beef liver helps in the proper functioning of the body and prevents a number of health problems, like anemia, from occurring.
- Beef liver makes an excellent choice for lean beef cuts because it contains low amounts of fats.
- Beef liver is high in folate and vitamins B6 and B12 which help in reducing the homocysteine level in the blood and prevent cardiovascular diseases and heart attacks.
Side Effects of Beef Liver
Beef liver nutrition, however, is not all good. There are various side effects that come from eating this organ meat, especially when consumed in high amounts.
Beef liver contains a preformed kind of vitamin A which may result to toxicity when consumed beyond the recommended daily allowance. This beef cut does not make a good choice for pregnant women as it may contribute to birth defects to the fetus.
- High Cholesterol
Beef liver is likewise not a wise choice for people with high levels of cholesterol as it further increases the bad cholesterol level.
Beef Liver Nutritional Information
Beef liver is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals that are usually found in fruits and vegetables. Listed below is the nutritional information of beef liver per 100-gram serving.
- Protein 20g
- Phosphorus 476mg
- Potassium 380mg
- Calcium 11mg
- Magnesium 18mg
- Vitamin D 19IU
- Vitamin A 53,400 IU
- Iron 8.8mg
- Zinc 4mg
- Vitamin E .63mg
- Vitamin C 27mg
- Vitamin B6 .73mg
- Vitamin B12 111.3mcg
- Folic Acid 145mcg
Considerations when Buying Beef Liver
To ensure that one gets the complete benefits of beef liver nutrition, it is very important to get the cut from reliable sources. This means that the supplier should only be selling USDA-inspected meats as this guarantees that the meats sold are safe for human consumption.