Advil is one of the better known brand names of generic medicine ibuprofen. It is an efficient NSAID or non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug and is used in the treatment of aches, pain and many types of arthritis. Advil is a really popular drug with very few or mild side effects and readily available over the counter.
Most of the Advil side effects are mild in nature and tend to wear off after some time. In case and individuals experience severe or serious Advil side effects after consuming the drug, then it is a case for worry. All Advil side effects which are risky, unusual or irregular should be immediately brought to the attention of a doctor for effective medical diagnosis.
Advil side effects
- Some of the common Advil side effects are listed below:
- A known Advil side effect caused due to Advil intake and which can be managed and controlled is heartburn. One can resort to the intake of drugs such as antacids that are available over the counter to counter the effects of heartburn. The practice of eating small meals on a regular basis aids in reducing the unpleasant heartburn condition.
- One of the Advil side effects that individuals experience after the intake of Advil is stomach pain. Hence it is advisable to consume Advil with food or milk so as to reduce the abdominal discomfort or pain. In case the pain persists after the consumption of Advil, then one must consult a physician for further analysis, which may indicate the presence of stomach ulcers.
- It is like that one will experience dizziness after Advil intake. It is important to abstain from operating heavy machinery or driving when experiencing this Advil side effect. One can lie down until dizziness wears off. As the body gets used to the intake of Advil and adapts to it, the regularity of dizziness will subsequently decrease.
- Another Advil side effect that is fairly common and which significantly reduces after the adaptation of the body to the drug, is headache.
- The intake of Advil may also result in nausea as an Advil side effect. Nausea may also be accompanied by other side effects such as gas, diarrhea and bloating. Seek medical care, in case symptoms of nausea and diarrhea persist.
- On rare occasions, some individuals may develop rashes or experience itching of the skin after the consumption of Advil. Consult a doctor for effective diagnosis and remedy for the rash.
- There are a number of other common Advil side effects that are experienced by only some individuals after Advil intake. They include:
- Inexplicable swelling, loss or change in appetite and ringing in the ears
- Gastrointestinal problems such as indigestion, stomach cramps, diarrhea, gas, bloating, vomiting, nervousness and constipation.
- Discuss all the symptoms with the physician who will then conduct a few tests to isolate the cause of the side effects to be an underlying condition or Advil intake.
- Some of the serious Advil side effects include the following:
- Liver damage is a serious Advil side effect. Yellowing of the skin or eyes, increased fatigue or tiredness and nausea are some of the symptoms of liver damage that occur after Advil intake
- Advil intake can also increase the risk to heart conditions and kidney failure.
- Other severe Advil side effects are slurred speech, pain in chest, shortness of breath, bleeding ulcers, fluid retention, weakness in one section of the body and inexplicable weight gain.
- All instances of serious Advil side effects should be immediately reported to the doctor. Generally, prolonged use of NSAIDs such as Advil can result in the development of life threatening or fatal Advil side effects.
- There are some very rare Advil side effects as shown by some clinical studies conducted on patients who have consumed Advil. However, it should be noted that it is very difficult to determine whether such side effects were caused due to Advil intake or due to some underlying medical condition. It is recommended to consult a doctor for diagnosis of rare Advil side effects. They include the following:
- Excessive liver enzymes, insomnia, stomach ulcers or peptic ulcers, dry mouth, hepatitis, high blood pressure, depression, hair loss, meningitis and hearing problems, etc.
- Some individual may develop allergic reactions after the intake of Advil. These allergic reactions may either be mild or life threatening. Emergency medical care is advised in case of fatal allergic reactions. Some of the Advil side effects caused due to an allergic reaction to Advil intake include:
- Development of skin rashes or hives, inexplicable swelling of the face and/or other areas of the body, breathing difficulties caused due to inflammation of the throat, wheezing, etc.
- Any form of bleeding such as blood from the nose, vomiting blood, bloody urine or blood in stool, dark or black stool and the appearance of red or purple spots on the skin, after the consumption of Advil also needs immediate medical care.
- Pregnant women should not consume Advil as it can cause harm to the child. Patients of heart, kidney or liver conditions should also avoid the intake of Advil as it will cause Advil side effects